P R A Y E R !

P R A Y E R !
When Life gets too hard to stand... kneel before HIM and Pray

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Bible(s) I Use In Teaching

Good Morning!

Several of you have asked what Bible am I using, what books do you read, and who are your favorite Preachers / Teachers?

Well, to answer those questions in any real depth, I would have to open up my Testimony and dust it off a bit. So since this week’s post is lengthy like the last couple of weeks I will try to keep this somewhat brief.

First my Bibles! I personally use The New Scofield Reference Bible (KJV) in Church to follow the Pastor in Morning and Evening Service, and sometimes for teaching. For my Wednesday night Prayer Meeting Messages, I consistently use two sources. (1) Bible Resources at the www.bible.com web site, and (2) Quick Verse Bible software, version 2007 sold and marketed by FindEx.com, Inc. When writing 90% of my messages and lessons, I default to the KJV. I have found that in most cases, it is closer to the Hebrew and Greek text, that I also have a complete set of via Quick Verse. If I use any other version, it would be the New American Standard Version, just to add clarity for me to expound a Biblical principle or point that I need to get across.

My library has grown immensely in the last couple of years, mainly because our retiring Pastor donated his entire library to me. I have several new books by Alistair Begg, and two new books to me by Jonathan Edwards, as well as a couple new books to me by John Stott. I also have an entire collection of Charles Spurgeon, who is one of my all time favorites. I have his entire collection electronically, and I have the entire book collection of Charles Spurgeon’s Sermon’s.

My favorite Preacher’s / Teachers…. Well, let me go back to the 1960’s and work my way forward. My first favorite Pastor was John C. Hall, my Grand Father. I was saved in a little Church in Osceola Mills, PA and the Pastor was Reverend Mink. My home Church most of my life as a child was the First Baptist Church of Bellefonte, PA where Pastor Marvin Apple was the Senior Pastor; I attended this Church until I left home for the Marine Corps. While in the Marine Corps, when I came home on weekends or on leave, I attended the Church that my Bride to be attended, The Bible Baptist Church, Pastor Steven Burns was the Senior Pastor.  Over the years, Pastor Burns has become one of my closest friends, and I go to him first with Biblical questions or Spiritual issues. I also follow the work of RC Sproul, Ravi Zacharias and Alistair Begg.  Our new Pastor, Alan Kilian, is a good Teacher, I have only sat under his teaching for a little less than a year.  He Preaches the Truth without reservation or excuse - so he is on the path to becoming one of my favorites as well.

So there you have it, as brief as this “Old Sinner – Saved By Grace” can do it. I love you all, and appreciate all the wonderful encouraging emails, and occasional comments on this Blog Site. It is my prayer that you may find Christ in the pages, Encouragement and Blessing in His Words. May God Bless, Have A Wonderful Day!

Robert C. Hall














No comments:

Post a Comment